Monday, April 7, 2008

My recent wonderful experience at Courtallam

I wish to share the wonderful experience which I had at Courtallam recently with you all. One of my close friend Nazar’s marriage was held at Tenkasi. I had planned to go to Tenkasi a day before the marriage and visit Courtallam and have been asked to do so by an another friend Madhu whose village PulluKattuValasi is close by Tenkasi.After a long time, I had a good break from my routine work. I am wordless to explain the wonderful experience.

When I reached my friends Madhu’s village, it was 2 after noon. First time I had been to such a remote village. I was picked by him in TVS-50 as there is no direct bus from the place I got down. Traveling in TVS-50 in a road all the way to his village is a wonderful experience. The road we use to call it in Tamil as Otthayadi padhai where both the sides full of coconut trees and farm lands. A cool nice breeze from Courtallam touches and refreshes me all the way till his home. As soon as TVS-50 enters his village, a small pond welcomes you where you can see few children playing and taking bath. I was about to jump in to the Pond, luckily he stopped me. As the pond crosses, TVS-50 enters in to many narrow streets where both the sides full of typical village houses (i.e. called as Karai veedu in Tamil). All the ladies in the houses sit in a group and rolling Beedi which is the major source of income for all the families in the village. Madhu also told me few of his village people died of Cancer recently. I had no words to say this time.

As I reached his home, I am just stunned by the warm welcome by his family members and the sweet Nellai Tamil they speak. As I new to this Nellai slang, I felt little difficulty in understanding and learned few words as well. Few words for you all.
Charam - Lungi
Puttuka - some more food.
Ennala - Calling friendly

The hot water was kept ready to take bath in an open place. I was little shy to take bath and later convinced by Madhu’s mom. As I finished bath, I have been served with typical village food with full plate of rice and Sambar. I would have been in trouble in completing that if I wasn’t much hungry. After a few minutes of rest at his home, Madhu took me to his village where we met few of his friends and had good time. Then we started to Old Courtallam which is near by with the promise to his mother that we won’t be taking bath. As I reached there, Madhu could not stop me from taking bath. I bought a new towel there and took a bath till my last wish ends. Then we had hot bacchi and tea. That was such a nice time I ever had.

By the time we returned home, it was nice village evening. After a few refreshments, we had visited his family temple. As i am a Muslim, He scared me initially not to enter inside the temple. I just entered and prayed along with him without listening him.

The next day was the marriage. I started from Madhu’s home at 9 and reached the marriage hall around 9.30 morning. I was the first one among our friends to reach there. I met the bridegroom and asked about other friends who were supposed to come. The Bridegroom wanted to perform prayer before the marriage at Mosque near by. I was asked to accompany him. As soon as I entered in the Mosque, The person sit enquired me with suspicion and about my origin. I felt the difference between the time that I had at the Temple and here. After an hours time, I can see other friends started coming one by one. We all gathered in to bridegrooms room and teasing him. One of my friends Hakeem who has got married recently in the group has taken back all the revenge by teasing the bridegroom like anything. I was just a good watcher observing peacefully and taken few snaps. The marriage ceremony began according to the Muslim rituals.

After the lunch, we all had planned to visit Courtallam which is about 3 K.M away from the place where marriage is held. That is another wonderful experience enjoying the water along with all the friends. Everybody pushes you in to the water where water falls with full speed and you feel it like a stones falling on you or thousands people together hits on your back with full force.

I have heard about Vellandhi Girama Makkal that is innocent village people many times and this is the first time experiencing it.

How 100% true are the words of Vairamuthu in a Tamil song

ஆடு மாடு மேல உள்ள பாசம்
வீட்டு ரேஷன் கார்டில் சேர்க்க சொல்லி கேட்கும்
தண்ணி கேட்டா மோரு தரும் நேசம்
வெள்ளந்தி மனிதர்கள் வாசம் மண்ணு எங்கும் வீசும்

No comments: